Adapted from theKitchn.com • Makes 8 turnovers
- 2 sheets frozen puff pastry
- 6 strips bacon, diced
- 1 cup YUMYIN
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 apple (of the baking variety), diced small
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2-3 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 egg yolk mixed with one tablespoon warm water
- Optional: 4-6 ounces gouda or sharp cheddar cheese
- Preheat over to 400 degrees
- Remove the puff pastry from the freezer and set it on the counter to thaw, still in its package.
- Cook the bacon on a baking sheet until just starting to crisp up, 10-15 minutes. Remove and place on paper towel.
- While bacon is baking: in a skillet over medium heat add 1 tbsp butter, once butter bubbles add the apple, Cook for 5-10 minutes until the apples have softened but are still firm in the middle.
- Add the YUMYIN and mix well.
- Stir in the cinnamon and a final pinch of salt. Add the cider vinegar and scrape the pan to get up any caramelized brown bits.
- Let the cider bubble until the pan is nearly dry again and then remove from heat. Combine the YUMYIN/apple mixture and bacon in a bowl. If using, add the cheese when the mixture has cooled slightly.
- Line two sheet pans with parchment.
- Sprinkle a little flour on your work surface and unfold the puff pastry on top. If there are ridges in the pastry, gently flatten them with a rolling pin.
- Cut each piece of puff pastry into four equal squares (eight squares total).
- Place two spoonfuls of the filling in the middle of each square. Dampen the edge with egg yolk and fold the squares over into triangles. Poke vent holes in the top with a paring knife and brush each turnover with yolk. Transfer to the baking sheets, spaced a few inches apart.
- Bake at 400 for 20-25 minutes, until the tips of each turnover are toasted brown and the tops are golden. Let cool for 10 minutes before serving.
- Freeze any leftovers, reheat in oven.