Adapted from Food52.com • Serves 4
Prep time: 10 min | Cook time: 15 min
This is the Food52 community winner for best mashed potatoes, so you know it's great!
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided use
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3/4 cup YUMYIN
- 1 pinch kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
- 3 pounds Russet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 1/2 cups half and half
- 1 clove garlic, smashed
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 ounces goat cheese
- 1 pinch Black pepper
- Place the potatoes in a large pot of cold, salted water. Bring to a boil and cook until fork tender.
- While the potatoes are cooking, heat the half and half, garlic, bay leaf, and remaining 2 tablespoons of butter in a small saucepan over medium heat.
- Drain the potatoes and return them to the hot, dry pot. Stir them over low heat for 2 minutes until they are dry. Pass the potatoes through a ricer into a large bowl.
- Gently stir in the hot cream mixture a little at a time until the potatoes are smooth and creamy (discard the garlic and bay leaf). You may not need to use all of the liquid.
- Stir in 1/2 cup of YUMYIN into the mashed potatoes, saving 1/4 cup of YUMYIN to garnish.
- Crumble the goat cheese into the potatoes and stir to combine well. Season with salt and black pepper to taste.
- Spoon the mashed potatoes into a serving bowl and garnish with the remaining YUMYIN. Serve hot.