Adapted via Food52.com • Serves 6-8
- 2 cups whipping cream
- 4 crushed garlic cloves
- 3 peppercorns
- 3/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1/2 cup YUMYIN (or more if you'd like)
- 3 large Yukon Gold potatoes (2 to 3 pounds), peeled
- 1 cup shredded Gruyere cheese
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- In saucepan, bring cream, garlic, peppercorns, thyme, and salt to just under boil; reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 15 minutes. Remove from heat; set aside.
- Heat your oven to 300° F.
- Slice potatoes as thinly as possible (using a mandoline if available).
- Layer 1/4 of the potatoes in greased about 8 x 12-inch glass baking or casserole dish; top with 1/3 of the YUMYIN and 1/4 of the cheese. Repeat twice. Top with remaining potatoes.
- Strain cream mixture over potatoes, shaking casserole to distribute evenly. Sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- Bake in 300° F oven on a baking sheet (to catch drips) until tender and a knife inserted into the dish pierces potatoes easily, 1 1/2 to 2 hours.
Make-ahead: Let cool, then cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days. Reheat, tented with tin foil, in 375° F oven for 30 minutes.