Grilled Polenta Cakes with Caramelized Onion, Cheese, and Honey
Adapted from Food52.com
I recently realized how awesome polenta is this last winter. After cooking way more than needed I would fry leftovers and make polenta nuggets and more. I decided to get fancy and found this recipe. I always used leftover polenta but it's worth making polenta fresh too.
For the polenta:
- 2 cups whole milk (non-dairy milk is fine OR broth)
- 2 cups water
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 cup polenta
- 2 tbsps extra-virgin olive oil
For the topping:
- 1/2 cup YUMYIN
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil
- 2 ounces goat cheese, crumbled
- Honey, to drizzle
- Bring the water, milk, and salt to a boil. Slowly whisk in the polenta. Turn heat to low, and continue whisking for 5 minutes, or until polenta is smooth and creamy. Spread the polenta in a 9- by 9-inch baking dish, and set aside to cool.
- Pour 1 tablespoon olive oil into a skillet, set over medium heat, let it get nice and hot.
- Using a 3-inch round cookie cutter, cut out circles of the firm polenta, and place in the heated skillet. Cook until slightly browned and crusty on one side, about 2 minutes, then flip and cook the other sides another two minutes.
- To assemble the polenta cakes, place on a plate, add one tablespoon of YUMYIN to each cake, top each with about a teaspoon of crumbled goat cheese, and drizzle with honey.