Amish Caramelized Onion Cake
Adapted from TasteOfHome.com
Yes, Onion Cake! For you savory dessert lovers!
- 1 Jar YUMYIN
- 2 cups cold butter, divided
- 1 tablespoon poppy seeds
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 5 large eggs
- 3/4 cup milk
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- Preheat oven to 350°
- In a large skillet melt 1/2 cup butter
- Add YUMYIN, poppy seeds, salt, paprika and pepper. Stir until well evenly mixed and remove from heat.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, cornstarch, baking powder and sugars. Cut in 1 1/4 cups butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Set aside.
- Melt the remaining 1/4 cup butter.
- In a small bowl, whisk the eggs, milk, sour cream and melted butter.
- Make a well in dry ingredients; stir in egg mixture just until moistened.
- Spread into a greased 10-in. springform pan or 10-in. cast-iron skillet.
- Spoon onion mixture over the dough.
- Place pan on a baking sheet. Bake for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Serve warm.