Caramelized Onion and Bacon Pie (Zwiebelkuchen)
Adapted from Tablespoon.com
1 Pie Crust
2 tablespoons butter
1 jar YUMYIN
5 slices thick cut bacon, finely chopped
1 1/2 cups full fat sour cream
4 large eggs
2 tablespoons Gold Medal™ unbleached all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon caraway seeds plus more for sprinkling
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Grease a 9-inch springform.
- In a Dutch oven or heavy skillet over medium-high heat fry the bacon until crispy.
- Add the YUMYIN and stir until evenly mixed. Remove from heat and let the mixture cool.
- Combine all remaining filling ingredients in a medium bowl and stir well to combine.
- On a lightly floured surface, gently roll out one of the pie crusts just enough to extend it by an inch or so in diameter.
- Lay the pie crust into the springform, lightly pressing it to the bottom and sides, leaving about an inch border from the top of the pan.
- Add the YUMYIN/bacon mixture to the filling mixture and stir until combined. Pour the filling into the springform and sprinkle a few caraway seeds on top.
- Bake for 50-55 minutes or until the Zwiebelkuchen is golden brown on top and the filling is firm when pressed in the center. Best served warm. Also excellent reheated the next day.