Breakfast Grilled Cheese
Adapted via Food52.com
Make a bunch of these and serve them at brunch, make more than you think you'll need
- 4 large eggs
- 1/4 cup YUMYIN
- 1 small pinch of cayenne pepper
- Kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 tablespoons cream cheese
- 6 slices American cheese
- 6 thick slices Martin’s Potato Bread or other white bread
- Unsalted butter (for the pan)
- To make the scrambled eggs, whisk the eggs, YUMYIN, and cayenne in a small bowl; season generously with salt (about 1/4 teaspoon).
- Heat the 2 tablespoons butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. As soon as it begins to foam, add the eggs and cook, whisking constantly, until they have set in small curds and are beginning to look dry, about 1 minute. Immediately remove from heat and whisk in cream cheese.
- Note: Eggs can be scrambled 2 hours ahead, then spread into a single layer in a sheet pan. Store tightly covered at room temperature, then trim into squares to fit each sandwich. Don't worry about the initial shape being perfect, as you can press any lingering scraps of egg into the sandwiches as well—no waste!
- When you’re ready to make the sandwiches, slightly toast bread in toaster
- Divide the cheese between the slices of bread and top with egg mixture. Close up sandwiches.
- Heat a dry large skillet over medium-low and brush very lightly with butter. Toast sandwiches until the bread is golden brown and the cheese has melted, about 3 minutes per side. Serve immediately.