Caramelized Eggplant & Onion Orzo
Adapted from theKitchn.com
Prep time: 10 minutes ; cooking time: 30 minutes
- 8 ounces orzo pasta (about 1 1/4 cups)
- 4 tablespoons olive oil, divided, plus more to coat pasta
- 1 medium eggplant (about 1 pound), diced
- Kosher salt
- 3/4 cup YUMYIN
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 small bell peppers, diced
- 2 medium tomatoes, diced
- 1 tablepoon balsamic vinegar
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup loosely packed chopped fresh basil leaves
- Shaved Parmesan cheese, for serving (optional)
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the orzo and cook until barely al dente, about 6 to 7 minutes, or according to package instructions. Drain, then drizzle lightly with olive oil and toss so that the grains of orzo are lightly coated; set aside.
- Heat 3 tablespoons of the olive oil in a 10- or 12-inch straight-sided sauté or frying pan over medium-high heat until shimmering. Add the eggplant and arrange them in a single layer; season lightly with salt. Sauté until golden-brown and softened, 6 to 7 minutes.
- Reduce the heat to medium and push the eggplant up in a pile against one half of the pan. Add the remaining tablespoon of oil to the center of the pan.
- Add the YUMYIN, peppers and tomatoes to the hot center of the pan. Sauté until softened, 3 to 4 minutes. Add the vinegar and sauté for 2 minutes, scraping up any browned bits from the bottom of the pan.
- Increase the heat to medium-high. Add the orzo gradually, shaking in a cup at a time, and stirring and scraping constantly. Cook, letting the orzo get browned on the bottom of the pan, then scraping it up to lightly toast the pasta, for about 5 minutes.
- Remove from the heat. Taste and season with salt and pepper as needed. Stir in the basil and serve immediately, sprinkling Parmesan shavings on top of each bowl, if using.